Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Big Little Things


I was on the computer yesterday and my daughters were playing in their room. I heard one cry out in pain and come into the room where I was, with her sister following. "Sorry, Summerlyn," Samaya said, "do you want me to pray for you?" And then she commenced, in her own way, to pray to God for her sister. I watched in amazement.

But why was I amazed? Isn't that what I want? Don't I want them to learn that when they have a problem they should pray first? Yes, this is what I want them to do but I didn't think it would catch on so quickly. I thought it was a little thing to pray with them for healing when they hurt themselves, or pray with them at night before they go to sleep for rest and protection, or pray with them in the morning when we wake up and are having a rough time getting it together. But that which looks like a little thing in God, is a big thing.

There are a lot of big little things that God desires us, as mommies, to teach our children; asking forgiveness of the offended, and of God, when we hurt someone else; learning to share those things that we really don't want to give up; and choosing to be kind even when others are not. They all seem like little things because we are teaching it to little people. But they are little things that are big things in the eyes of God!

2 comments:

RenaissanceMom said...

That's very sweet. It's a blessing that they've caught on in such a way. Your girls will be prepared for whatever comes at them now.

Summer said...

Thank you so much! I am so grateful to have God in my life that directs me in what to do to prepare my children for this fallen world.